Pages

Red vs Blue



Mini: Kobolds
Manufacturer: Reaper Bones Series
Painted: 6th - 7th Dec 2013


I am really happy with the way these turned out. Other than the rats, which were a lot more simple, these are the smallest figures I have painted and I am really proud with how they turned out. It is also the first time I have done production line style painting. Though I did them in 2 separate groups (red then blue). I was most proud of the eyes. It is the first time I have started to feel a sense of control with them though their is still plenty of room for improvement. I also thought the yellow colour worked great.

The one with the skull staff is my first attempt at a conversion, though I have given advice to Michael on a few of his. I simply wanted a kobold that could stand out as the leader or be an obvious spell caster (he is actually supposed to be holding a spear). I am happy how it turned out, though the skull seems to be a bit large scale wise. I should also note that Michael did the gluing (me and superglue do not get along).

I actually didn't mean to do the whole Red vs. Blue theme however I wanted to show their dragon heritage and so I decided to do the whole chromatic colours. We use these models mostly for Pathfinder games so I read the SRD for info. Here is what it said:
" Kobolds are creatures of the dark, found most commonly in enormous underground warrens or the dark corners of the forest where the sun is unable to reach. Due to their physical similarities, kobolds loudly proclaim themselves the scions of dragonkind, destined to rule the earth beneath the wings of their great god-cousins, but most dragons have little use for the obnoxious pests. ... Kobold coloration varies even among siblings from the same egg clutch, ranging through the colors of the chromatic dragons, with red being the most common but white, green, blue, and black kobolds not unheard of. "
With that I decided to choose 2 colours so that they could work well together and seem more like a cohesive group while still giving variety. I ruled out white as its a hard colour to do well, I ruled out Black as I thought it would be too muddy on such small models. That left Red, Blue & Green - I knew I wanted red as that is the most common and decided that I didnt want green as the second colour unless they be mistaken for Santa's helpers! :p Hence Red & Blue. I made their clothes different colours so that no 2 kobolds were the same. That way while playing people can say things like "I want to shoot the Kobold with the shield & purple clothes."

Unfortunately, I didnt write down the colours I worked with and while I could tell you a few of them there doesnt seem much point. Still I wanted to share the process of deciding on what to do. Hope you enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment